Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Wide World of Comics

For this assignment, I ended up reading Moebius 1 Upon a Star. I had been introduced to Moebius through art assignments and still images, but hadn’t actually read the comics that the images were from. One of my favorite aspects of the Moebius comic is how richly developed the world is, along with the simplicity (and yet detailed) of the art. The use of science fiction in this comic can be seen as highly influential of modern day science fiction (especially in its visuals of urban decay, and bright-almost pastel color scheme). One of my favorite visuals/aspects is when the main character hooks his mind to the ship in order to pilot it. It’s a concept that I’ve seen in later sci-fi works, that I semi-wonder if these works were inspired by Moebius. 

Something that I also appreciated about Upon a Star was the scope of the work, in which the characters are driving the plot in a way where we get a payoff for previous events. The characters are interesting, and relatable (there is one moment when a character has just cooked, and when Stel shows up with dirt all over him, the other character just says you can’t eat with dirty hands, and the next panel shows them eating with Stel cleaned up. It reminded me of how my parents would chastise my sister and I if we showed up to the dinner table without washing our hands first). It was a small moment in a large sci-fi adventure that made the story feel more grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment